Hello again everyone! It’s nice to finally be blogging on the regular again. Things have been really hectic recently which is why I haven’t been able to do any blog posts. Quick life update; I’ve finished my exams, moved back home for the summer, and completely cleaned out and re-organised my room (which was a 5 day nightmare!). Originally, I was going to write this post as a May favourites, and I did start it at the beginning of June, but now it’s almost at the end of June (awkward!). I didn’t want to scrap the post as the majority of it was completed, so it’s more of a May/June favourites (forgive me).
I thought I’d do my first favourites blog post because I love watching all the big beauty YouTubers do theirs so I’m just going for it and hoping mine is as cool as theirs! I’m going to be picking makeup, skincare, hair, fashion, and music favourites (can’t be a music student and not talk about my favourite music this month can I??). Anyway! Without further ado; here it is:
M A K E U P
1. MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation – This powder is £22 and I use shade NW10. I have been using it loads this month, whether its on its own on really hot days (sometimes I can’t deal with liquid foundations on hot days) or on top of liquid foundation to set and mattify it. It is medium to full coverage too! I actually hit pan on it this month which is really upsetting, but I’ll definitely be repurchasing it when it runs out.
2. Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara – This amazing drugstore mascara is £7.99. It has a curved wand, with long bristles (is that the right word?) on one side, and short bristles on the other side. Maybelline claims it’s a ‘lash multiplying mascara’ and though I’m not sure about that, it definitely curls lashes and makes them look beautiful and long and doesn’t get clumpy.
3. Benefit Gimme Brow – This eyebrow gel is usually £18.50, but I got it for free with my eyebrow wax this month! Unfortunately the deal is over now because we’ve stepped into June, BUT even more exciting – Benefit are re-releasing the Gimme Brow in new packaging with a new medium shade on the 24th of June. In the old version however I’m using the shade light/medium. This gel really holds your eyebrow hairs in place all day and is also volumising and just perfect. I can’t believe I haven’t got this sooner. It’s also water resistant so I will be taking this product on holiday later this year so I can go swimming with perfect brows.
4. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz – Another brow product, the ABH Brow Wiz is a super thin eyebrow pencil that you can use either to outline your brows, or add in realistic looking brow hairs into sparse areas on your brows. There’s quite a large colour selection which enables anyone to have beautiful looking brows! I use the shade Taupe, and it costs £15.50.
5. Sleek Solstice Highlighting Palette – This palette is £9.99 and comes with 4 gorgeous highlighters that go on so strong and make you look glowy as heck. My personal favourite is Hemisphere; the purple-y opalescent one in the top right corner. I have been using this palette non stop since I bought it, and it’s even pushed my Mary Lou Manizer to the side for quite a while now!
6. Make Up For Ever Face & Body Foundation – This foundation is so good I’ve only used it twice and it’s already a favourite! I bought it in preparation for my holiday in July as it’s water resistant and I’ll be able to go swimming in it and live in confidence that it wont sweat off my face. It has the consistency of water and goes on so easily. I love to apply it with my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. It’s a really buildable foundation, so you can go for as much coverage as you like, but I think one layer is good enough for me. I’m the shade 38, and the foundation is £27.
7. Benefit Cheekathon Palette – This is another thing I’ve had for the shortest time and I’m already in love! I can’t stress enough how worthwhile this palette is. You get 5 full sized blushers/bronzers; Dandelion, Hoola, Rockateur, Dallas, and Coralista (which are all £23.50 each mind you – the palette is worth £117.50 if you bought everything separately) for the small price of £44.50 (which is still less than buying 2 of the blush/bronzers separately, as buying two would cost £47). I just can’t stress enough. It’s such good value. Such good quality. I love you Benefit!!!
S K I N C A R E
1. Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser Rose & Cedrat Limited Edition – The limited edition Cleanse & Polish is still available for £20.75! If you want to read about this in more detail, feel free to read my review on it here. My skin always feels so clean and soft after using this, I highly recommend it to anyone! In this set, you get the 150ml pump and 2 muslin cloths, which I think is a great price for the quality of this product!
2. Soft & Gentle 48hr Protection Antiperspirant Deodorant Jasmine & Coco Milk – What a weird thing to put in a favourites right? But I love this deodorant. I’ve never cared about a deodorant before, I’ve just used whatever I happen to buy. But THIS ONE. I love the smell of it, it feels so soft and gentle (it’s all in the name to be honest), and it’s super cheap at £1 for a 150ml can!
3. Chloé Signature Eau De Parfum 5oml – I didn’t know what else to put this under but Skincare seemed the most fitting since you put it on your skin? I love this perfume for Spring. It was very fitting for the month of May I think. I wore it most days, I just love it so much! I won’t go into much detail now, but you can read a whole big paragraph about it on my perfume collection post here.
H A I R C A R E
1. L’oréal Expert Color Corrector Blondes – I bought this from my hairdresser, but you can buy it through Amazon for £11.45. It’s a purple conditioner that strips any brassy tones from blonde hair to keep it looking bright and light if you have very light blonde hair like I do! I use this once a week to keep my hair looking bright until I next get my roots touched up. You have to be careful though because if you don’t wash it out properly you could end up with blue patches in your hair for a couple of days! It’s happened to me before, but thankfully it washes out easily.
2. L’oréal Elvive Fibrology Thickening Shampoo + Conditioner – You can buy the 250ml sizes of these from Superdrug for £2.99 each. I actually feel like it really helps give my hair volume as it is really fine. Honestly, I notice a real difference when I run out of this and I have to use my other shampoo/conditioners. My hair seems to sit really flat and thin without it.
3. Tangle Teezer – I bought this recently from Boots for £10.99. I now use it every day for everything! It’s so gentle on my hair and detangles it so well I feel like I’m never going to use another brush again. They’re also very easy to clean and carry around with you. I love using it on my hair extensions as well because hair can fall out of them really easily, but the Tangle Teezer doesn’t pull at the tangled ends like a generic brush does, which helps them to stay in better condition for longer which is good for me!
F A S H I O N
1. American Apparel Lilac Tennis Skirt – Although this skirt has been discontinued by American Apparel, there are still loads of other colours available on their website at the moment! If you really want a lilac one there’s plenty going on Depop all the time (I’m addicted to Depop). I bought an XS but it’s surprisingly smaller than all of my other XS tennis skirts. Usually XS fits a 6 – which I am – but it seems like this was made for a size 4. I don’t know why but it usually fits okay unless I eat a lot! It starts to become uncomfortable at that point.
2. Doc Martens Polley Virginia (Bubblegum) – I’ve been wearing these non stop since I bought them. They fit with so many outfits and look so cute and girly. I am a size 4, and these cost £95 normally, but for me it was £85.50 as I used my student discount. They are very comfortable, and didn’t even give me blisters because the leather was so soft! They don’t take as much breaking in as the classic Docs do. These shoes are also available in an off-white and pastel blue colour if you’re interested in buying some!
3. Topshop Sunglasses – There’s a sad story behind these sunglasses – I broke them! Tom pushed my really hard on a zipline and when I got to the end the pole hit me in the face and broke my glasses (my eyebrow is subsequently bruised too). It really hurt. However! Thankfully I had the receipt as I hadn’t even had them a week and Topshop kindly changed them for me but I have to wait for them to arrive to the Manchester store! (Update: I have them now!) These sunglasses look really retro and cute on however! They are available in some stores and also online if you want them. They are £16.
4. Primark Playsuit – As per usual, I can’t find anything I own from Primark on their website! However, I believe this playsuit was £13 and is a size 6, I bought it in the Manchester store and I have been wearing it to death since I bought it! It’s a cute pinafore playsuit with a floral pattern. I love pairing it with white knee high socks (eBay) and a white crop top (Topshop). This look is especially cute when paired with my Doc Martens!
5. Primark Dungarees – I have a feeling these dungarees were also £13, and they are a size 6. Again, I can’t find them on the website to double check but they’re definitely not expensive! Light dungaree shorts look great in the summer, its such an easy thing to throw on with a crop top or t-shirt. I particularly like the pocket decoration on the front of these dungarees; very cute!
6. Pandora Ring – For my 19th birthday, my parents bought me another Pandora ring! When I turned 18 I struggled to pick between two rings, and I went for this one instead. I still loved the daisy ring a year later so my Mum and Dad got me it. It’s very cute and feminine. I’m a size 48 which is the smallest size, and it stills isn’t a perfect fit but it doesn’t really matter as long as it doesn’t fall off! It just spins around on my finger a lot which is very frustrating, especially when I’m at work! However, I will cherish it. I love it very much!
M U S I C
1. Beyonce: Sorry – I did a lot of listening to Lemonade in May because I was writing about it for my music business essay! ‘Sorry’ is my favourite song from the album by far. The ending gives me chills! As I’m writing this, I’ve just discovered that the video for the song was finally uploaded to YouTube 22 hours ago! What amazing timing. If you haven’t yet watched the visual album I totally recommend it! It’s such a powerful, captivating film filled with brilliant music and visuals. A complete work of art.
2. Wavves: Cool Jumper – Anyone who knows me is going to be like ‘old news, Antonia likes Wavves’. Well you’re wrong. I LOVE Wavves. Especially their older lo-fi stuff. ‘Cool Jumper’ is so full of energy and I love the video that this person has made to go with it! I listened to this song on repeat when I was psyching myself up for my assessment and audition at the end of this term and I think it really worked out for me.
3. Yuck: Rubber – Again, I did a lot of listening to this song throughout May, but it has been a favourite for about a year or two now. This was the song our band performed for our performance assessment and End of Term Gig audition (unfortunately we didn’t get on it this time!). It’s such a fun song to perform and I really enjoyed the assessment and audition. The song may not sound like much to someone who doesn’t enjoy this kind of music, but there really is a lot more to it than endless droning I promise!
4. Yung Lean: Hurt – This is one of those things where the artist/song was hyped up ages ago, and I’m totally late to the Yung Lean bandwagon. I really love this song. The video is an aesthetic Tumblr blogger’s dream, and I actually find it just really fun and relaxing to watch. I don’t really know what to say about this song other than you need to listen to it and see it for yourselves.
5. Azealia Banks: Big Talk (ft. Rick Ross) – Controversy!! The mere mention of Azealia Banks’ name causes outrage among people, so I must start by saying I love her music and NOT her awful personality and opinions! Now that that’s out of the way, a couple of months ago she released her Slay-Z EP for free download, and Big Talk is the 3rd track on the album, and also my favourite! To me, it packs such a punch and the energy of the song is just really exciting to me.
I didn’t even realise I had so many favourites this month (and that writing about music is so hard)! I tried to keep things short so the post wasn’t super long. I hope you all enjoyed! Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what your favourites were this month and I might even try them out myself. Until next time ♥