As you may already know if you read my How To Pack For A Holiday; Makeup and Skincare posts, I went on holiday this year for the first time in three years! It’s the first holiday I’ve been on where I’ve really cared about what beauty products I brought with me, so I was mostly playing it by ear, having some expectations, but at the same time, not really knowing what to expect. Now I’ve been and done it, I can finally tell you what you need, and what you don’t really need (in my opinion anyway!).
I’ve broken all of the products down into seven different categories. Some products I mention will be shown as a list if there’s nothing really to say about them, some will have a short description, others will have a more in depth description! There’s a lot of products to cover, so I’m going to try and stay as to-the-point as possible. Here are the categories, and the order they are in. Feel free to skip over and read intently as you choose!
- Products I Left Behind
- Products I Bought And Used In Tenerife
- Products I Didn’t Use
- Products I Picked Up Last Minute Before Leaving
- Products I Liked
- Products I Didn’t Like
- Products I Loved
PRODUCTS I LEFT BEHIND
A couple of products I planned to take ended up being left at home. The first thing I decided to leave was my MAC Fix+ after realising there wasn’t as much product in the bottle left as I expected. I didn’t want to run out while I was in Tenerife because I love my fixing sprays, so I took my MAC Charged Water in it’s place. The second thing I left behind was my Lush ‘Don’t Look At Me’ Fresh Face Mask. Honestly, this is solely because I forgot to bring it with me! I don’t think I would have used it while I was away anyway – I didn’t really stay inside a lot! However, if you wanted to bring a face mask with you, I would suggest buying one of those cheap masks in a packet, as they are more travel friendly. My family was already struggling for suitcase space without having to worry about my face mask too!
PRODUCTS I BOUGHT THERE
More like things I bought in the airport on the way there. I purchased the YSL Touche Eclat Blur Primer, and received a full sized tester/sample of the YSL Rouge Volupte Shine. I loved the primer, and it totally pushed my Body Shop primer out of the way (though I do love both for different reasons). I found the YSL primer to be more lightweight and moisturising than the Instablur, so I used that on all but one or two days out of the whole holiday. The same goes for the lipstick, it just pushed all the other lip products I brought out of the way. This is mostly because it was the most sheer, moisturising, and comfortable!
PRODUCTS I DIDN’T USE
I basically explained why I didn’t use the Body Shop Instablur in the paragraph above, my new YSL Rouge Volupte Shine pushed my original YSL Rouge Volupte (discontinued so I can’t provide links) to one side for the holiday, and the only other product I didn’t use was my MAC Lip Pencil in Soar. The Rouge Volupte Shine lipstick is so easy to apply that you really don’t need to be applying lip liner. I mainly brought it for my liquid lipsticks, but I didn’t really like wearing them on holiday (refer to ‘Products I Didn’t Like’ for the reason why).
LAST MINUTE PICK-UPS
Honestly, I did panic as I was packing my holiday makeup to go. As I realised my MAC Fix+ was more empty than I thought, I threw my MAC Charged Water into the bag instead. Then, I thought about glitter. I love wearing glitter on my eyes! How could I possibly go without it? So, I packed my BarryM Glitter Rush in Snowglobe, and my Too Faced Glitter Glue. I found that I used the glitter, but not so much the glitter glue. While on holiday, I found that I preferred a light dusting of glitter over my eyeshadow rather than a big blob of glitter stuck in place on my eyelids with glue.
PRODUCTS I LIKED
Basically, these are just the products that did the job, nothing that really performed spectacularly on holiday, but I used them mostly on a daily basis:
- Urban Decay Primer Potion (Eden)
- Rimmel Exaggerate Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
- Soap & Glory Supercat Liner Pen
- L’Oreal Super Liner Mat-Matic
- Maybelline Lash Sensational – I didn’t bother buying the waterproof one. I didn’t put mascara on to go swimming anyway!
- P.S Exfoliating Facial Cleansing Wipes
- Soft & Gentle Antiperspirant Deoderant Jasmine & Coco Milk
- Lush ‘Tea Tree Water’ Toner Water – I wouldn’t say you absolutely need this for when you go away, unless you’re really obsessive about skincare or are prone to breakouts!
- Mandara Spa Honeymilk Dream Nourishing Miracle Oil – The packaging for this was a little bit annoying to travel with. It’s glass and was heavier than other products I brought with me. I also didn’t really like the feel of it on my face at night but I think I would feel the same way about most moisturisers!
- Rimmel Stay Matte Powder – The powder itself performed perfectly while I was away, it was the flimsy packaging that was an issue. The plastic cover snapped in half and it was left exposed the whole holiday! It barely made it back in one piece, but it’s a good job it’s really cheap!
- Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz
- Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser – Another packaging issue, the cleanser part of this was so annoying to pack and carry! The tube is pretty big. You would probably be better putting some of the product in a travel sized container or buying a nice travel sized makeup remover/cleanser!
- Lush ‘Angels On Bare Skin’ Cleanser
- Witch Blemish Stick
PRODUCTS I DIDN’T LIKE
I’m going to have to make a bit of a disclaimer and say that I usually do love both of these products, but I hated wearing them on holiday! They are both liquid lipsticks; the Gerard Cosmetics Hydra Matte Liquid Lipstick (Invasion), and the Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick (Milkshake). I usually mix these colours together to get a lighter version of Invasion, but on holiday my lips were so dried out and cracked that I really couldn’t wear these lipsticks comfortably – liquid lipsticks are known to dry out your lips anyway, so you can imagine my discomfort when my lips were already dry enough!
PRODUCTS I LOVED
So, the way I’m going to do this is pick out my top 3 items for the holiday and talk about them in detail, and then the rest will follow in less detail.
My top favourite, favourite, favourite thing I brought with me – an item that I purchased especially for the holiday – was the Makeup Forever Face & Body foundation (shade 38; Pink Porcelain). I mentioned in my previous post that this foundation is sheer, waterproof, and so comfortable to wear in hot climates. It doesn’t feel like you have anything on your face! I did swim with this foundation on a couple of times and it stayed right in place, I was so impressed. Also, whilst I was in the sun my face freckles decided to make a reappearance, and I adore freckles so I was more than happy to have them back! Even when I wore this foundation, my freckles weren’t concealed because the foundation is so sheer and natural. It just evens out those blemishes and little imperfections, and makes your natural skin look that little bit better.
My second favourite was the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade (taupe). This was another waterproof item that I could wear for swimming and know that my brows wouldn’t end up halfway down my face. I would use my Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz for the outline (I love the Brow Wiz, but it wasn’t anything that performed extraordinarily away from home), and then use the Benefit Gimme Brow (another waterproof item I loved!) for setting. Those brows were simply not budging!
Then, my third favourite was the Makeup Revolution Golden Sugar Ultra Blush Palette. I was so happy that I could keep my bronzer, blush, and highlight all in one palette, and not have to bring separate items that would take up space. For £6 you really can’t go wrong either! It doesn’t matter if it gets broken or lost (which it didn’t), because it’s easily replaced and doesn’t cost a fortune. They are all so pigmented too, so you can make them as strong or as subtle as you like – if you put the brush into the pan lightly, you will only pick up a small amount and it will go a long way.
Other things I loved while I was away are listed below with short descriptions:
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance – This palette was such a brilliant choice to take away with me! I was never stuck for options and didn’t have to do the same look every night. The palette survived the journey, much to my relief! The only sad part is I hit pan on Tempera while I was away.
- Lush ‘Bubblegum’ Lip Scrub – My dry lip saviour! This lip scrub got rid of any dry skin on my lips and make them feel soft again. Use before putting on makeup and just before going to bed for the best results.
- EOS Coconut Milk Lip Balm – The second dry lip saviour! This kept my lips hydrated during the day when I was wearing no lip products. I also used it before putting makeup on to create a hydrated base to put lipstick over top. Like with the lip scrub, the best results come by using it before putting on makeup and before going to bed.
- Cien Sun Lotion – I barely burned on holiday except for on my left shoulder, and my left wrist (the side I wear my watch), and I put it all down to this sun cream! Factor 30 was enough for the 30°C/86°F climate. I feel like the thick formula provided some added protection, and for such a cheap suncream, I’m very impressed with it!
- The Body Shop Vanilla Body Spray – This light, fresh perfume was great for the hot weather. It was not too invasive, which is a big no-no when it’s hot outside – doesn’t it give you and others around you a headache? – and vanilla is such a summery scent to me! It’s also not too expensive, so it doesn’t really matter if it gets lost or damaged, which it didn’t.
That’s every product covered! If you would like me to go into any further detail about any of the products mentioned, please leave me a comment and I will certainly reply.
What are your favourite holiday makeup and skincare items? Do you agree with my opinions?
Thank you so much for reading, I hope you’re having a great week, and I’ll see you in the next one. ❤
Never want to miss a post? Feel free to subscribe by typing your email into the subscription box in the sidebar! Alternatively, my links are…